Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Elephant in the Room.....

Undisputed fact: People don't want to pay more taxes! Every time you turn around, it seems someone wants money for something or prices are being raised for those "necessities". Those are the things we have no control over. Voting against a levy is the one thing that people do have control over (for the short term. However,that "short term" control has consequences).

Undisputed fact: There are people who think that if the levy doesn't pass, it is "no big deal". Here are some of the reasons given for their belief that it is "no big deal":
"We can just open enroll our kids in another school district!" (any thoughts about the time and energy that will be spent driving children to this other district?)

"I don't have children in school anymore." (but if you do own a house... and someday want to sell that house, future home buyers will be looking at positive reasons to move to Stryker. Good schools are usual a positive reason. If the school is no longer in existence, they may want to live in a place closer to a school....see first excuse...)

"Why are all of the little schools trying so hard? Why don't they just consolidate?" (this reason has several components to look at. IF--big if!--schools were to consolidate, WHERE would this new school exist? There isn't a building big enough to house more than one district in the same spot. A bigger building would be needed. Hmmmm.... a NEW building = more money.... Once again,if there is no school in the district.... see excuse number one and two... And the SIZE of this consolidated venture? Has anyone given thought to larger class sizes? STRYKER, with its smaller class sizes, can give attention to each and every child. No one "falls through the cracks" I also need to insert my own opinion here: I grew up in a VERY large CITY. To this day I can still cite my student ID number without hesitation. Without a doubt, I was a number in the system. Not really a valuable human being. I am pretty sure that I am not missed at any of our class reunions. My children have had the opposite experience, having attended Stryker Schools. I wish I had had what they have!

People want to pretend that the Elephant isn't in the room. The Elephant is there. If we name it, look at it and "talk kindly" I believe the Elephant can be our friend. (There is a children's book that tells the story of an elephant who is different than all of the other elephants. After trying to be like everyone else, he learns that he is valued for who he IS.

Let's name the Elephant in the room. If we acknowledge that there is an elephant, we give value to its existence, but it will not consume us or tear us apart. The opinions of each resident of Stryker matters. It is my hope that we will band together and make a difference in the lives of our children. I believe that this community WANTS the best for their children. Please vote YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment