Thursday, September 22, 2011

Good faith.....

Every summer teachers spend time getting ready for a new school year. They rearrange classrooms, look at curriculum and State standards, plan lessons and purchase materials to use. Most of those purchases come from their own pocket. Yet, I haven't heard many of them complain. They purchase supplies and resource materials because they want the best for your children. They create an atmosphere for learning and encourage your children to do their best.

And every year, on the first day of school, parents bring their precious children and entrust them to the classroom teacher. Parents, in good faith, know that their child will receive what they need. They trust that their child will be nurtured and cared for for the new school year. If the child's needs are more than the teacher is equipped to take care of, they work to make sure that they find the answers and resources that are needed to solve those issues.

Teachers, in turn, act in good faith. They trust that the parents will support classroom decisions and that there will be a "partnership" as teachers and parents work together to see children succeed. Parents and teachers together provide a strong support network. That is teaching at its finest.

There is also an issue of good faith between the Community and School Administration. Community members must trust the Administration to take care of issues that are beyond their own expertise. (State laws and regulations are beyond my understanding!) I must trust the Superintendent and School Board to do their homework. But in good faith, I also know that if I have questions, they are duty-bound to provide those answers. In essence, I allow them to do their job. I know that I am certainly not qualified. Nor am I talking about a "blind trust".

What I am talking about is a new era of communication and trust.....GOOD FAITH! I act in good faith that the residents of Stryker can set aside differences and work together to make our town better. That we can come together, seek answers and have conversations that lead to solutions. Solutions for the children!

So, eat at Mama DeLuca's tomorrow (the 23rd)! Ask questions of Levy Committee members to get answers to make informed decisions, not based on fear. Attend the special School Board meeting on Monday (the 26th) to find out what the Board is facing financially and listen to discussion about cuts that may need to be made in the future. Support the people that were elected by you to act in the best interest of the community. But most of all, act on that "good faith" and VOTE YES and show our children how a town CAN come together because we believe in each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment