Change is inevitable, so "they" say. Even nature, in Northwest Ohio changes! (Have you seen the leaves? We are definitely in for a treat this fall! Jackets have been brought out for wearing and preparations are being made for the coming winter.... But, I digress....) Change also came to Facebook and there has been a LOT of discussion about whether that change is liked or disliked! I have heard news blurbs about the change in Facebook and what a stir it has caused. Then there is the fear. Several times, just this evening people have posted the status that Facebook is going to start charging to use their services (which according to snopes.com is not true). The unknown causes a "panic" that we keep going.
I believe that some of this is a direct result of the fear of change. People like to be comfortable! They like to know what is coming. The one thing that I have learned in my lifetime is that you can't stop change. Things will continue to change and we have a choice as to how we will react. Will we embrace that change or will we go kicking and screaming because we will not change? Some change, I will admit is not always good. And sometimes we need to look for that "silver lining" in change.
Fear can be the driving force to spur people to make changes that will benefit all. Did you watch the movie "The Help"? Those maids were fearful, yet they knew that they had to speak up for change.
Several years ago, I became complacent. I did my job and I would say that I was "effective"...but I thought that things were fine and why fix something that wasn't "broke". But then I was forced to re-evaluate what it was that I was doing and how to make it better. I didn't sit back and just let life "happen". Life needed me to fully participate and make some changes. There was fear on my part! Yet, I can honestly say that that fear was a gift. I am a better person for those experiences. I made some positive changes and sought encouragement, support and wisdom from others. Because I made an effort to overcome those fears, those around me have benefited.
So, what does all of this have to do with "Fear" and the Stryker School Levy? Stick with me. This is just my opinion, but I wonder if people fear how their life will change if the Levy were to pass? I know that some are wondering how to make ends meet if they were to be asked to pay more taxes. I also know on the flip side that people fear what will happen if the levy does not pass.
For those who fear what will happen if the levy passes, I urge you to ask questions! One question asked recently was: Where will my money go?
And here is the answer that I got ( this is public knowledge. This information was provided by the School Treasurer): Salaries and Benefits are the largest expenditure of the school district. In Fiscal Year (FY) 2007 $2,324,821 was paid out in salaries with $812,261 paid in benefits. In FY 2011 salaries totaled $2,372,549 (due to severance payments for 5 retirees of $106,640) and $793,659 paid in benefits. Projected salaries for FY 2012 total $2,193,311 with $797,306 projected to be paid in benefits.
We have reduced the number of certified staff: 36 in FY 2007 to 32 in FY 2012.
In a show of good faith, all staff (which includes classified--aides, etc., certified--teachers AND administration) took a salary freeze for FY 2012, 2013, 2014 and employees agreed to no step increases for 3 years. The levy, if passed will ensure that those programs already in place will be maintained.
I also know on the flip side that people fear what will happen if the levy does not pass. If the levy does NOT pass, our administration and school board are left to look at ways to make more cuts. We have already reduced staffing to one building principal K - 12. Reductions also include cutting the Vocational Agricultural program, Industrial Arts and Business classes. The district has also made changes in Special Educational services, providing those services "in-house" instead of purchasing those services from the Educational Service Center.
Our children are entitled to a public education. The staff who is employed by the Stryker Local School district are trying to find that "silver lining" and making the best of what some consider a "bad" situation. We are all working hard to maintain a positive environment and provide the children of Stryker a quality public education. Let's put the fear aside and embrace the fact that things have changed. Let's ask questions and not become complacent, believing that we can change things for the "better". Let's not let fear win!
Vote YES for the Stryker School Levy....for the children of Stryker.
No comments:
Post a Comment