Names have a lot of importance.
Parents feel this responsibility to come up with just the right name for their unborn child (and some wait for a while after their child is born to make SURE that the name "fits"). Then there are nicknames and pet names we have for those who are special to us. [ Think about your father's father. Some are called Grandpa, Gramps, Granddad, Papa and my personal favorite was one that my son came up with for my dad: Papa 'Zona. ]
And there are other references which show the importance of names.
Who hasn't heard other people talk about preferential treatment of some as "They have the RIGHT name" or "I DON'T have the right name" OR we could even talk "brand names"...whether clothes, shoes, purses, coats, and then there are even those well known names of celebrities, local personalities, even restaurant chains!
You name it, and it takes on an importance.
Take this name:
Stryker Local Schools
I witnessed the Stryker Lady Panthers clinch a District Championship title this evening. There was great excitement as the name of Stryker was cheered and chanted and broadcast on the radio. There was a sea of blue on both sides of the gym and the bleachers that were designated for Stryker fans were well packed. I have even seen MANY pictures and well wishes all over Facebook since coming home from the game. There was excitement as the Stryker Fire Department escorted the team bus into town, alerting those who hadn't gone to the game that something important had taken place this evening. There was pride associated with being a Panther!! Win or lose, our girls played with heart, determination and courage!!
What I saw
OUR name...
the name of STRYKER....
and it confirmed what I already know: We all want the BEST for our town.
Win or lose, we can still have determination, heart and courage!
The sign coming into town says "Welcome to Stryker Where YOU make a difference".
It is GAME TIME!! (Yes, the boy's team plays a District semi-final game in Napoleon on Tuesday!! The girl's team will play at the Regional semi-final game in Elida on Thursday!!) But this "game" is one where YOU are needed to be on the team. It's the fourth quarter and the coach is putting you in the game!
Let's show northwest Ohio that the name of Stryker means HEART, DETERMINATION, and COURAGE...and that whether we agree with coaching style, coaching decisions (because I never heard any of that tonight at the game...only cheering and praise for a "job well done") or even the referees...we can "play the game with the best of them". Please be on the best team.
YES!
ReplyDeleteWell written and it could apply to most any school district in Northwest Ohio. We are blessed to be part of a community that supports ALL aspects of education and extra curricular programs. Music, Art, Science Fair, FFA, sports and more.
DeleteWhile I sat in the opposing teams section at the girls' game, I was impressed with the encouragement from the fans, both students and adults. The girls put their hearts into the game and the Lady Panthers were victorious and will represent the BBC well. Good Luck with the game and with your levy on March 6. The Future of your students depend on your support.
I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments. I think that that is was makes Northwest Ohio unique! I grew up in a city of over 62,000 people and the advantages of being "known" provide a strong foundation! I love to see the friendships that my kids have made with kids from other schools! They can compete on a court and walk off as friends. Truly one of the many blessings!
DeleteThanks you for your words of well wishes for both the Lady Panthers AND the school levy. Your last line said it all: The FUTURE of our students depends on the support of the community.