November 8.....eleven short days from now. This levy "thing" has been like a rain cloud hanging over our town. It has "rained" on conversations and caused stress and discouragement for a lot of people. It has also caused us to pause and take a look at the big picture. It has even given us reasons to "count our blessings" and remind ourselves of the positives that are happening at Stryker Local Schools.
I feel like we are all holding our breath. But underneath, I want to have faith that the good people of Stryker realize how much is at stake and that they want what is best for our town.
In this count down phase let's look at the levy issue again:
The Stryker Local School District is asking for 5.8 mils. This millage is a property tax. Passing this levy will ensure that Stryker Local Schools will be able to continue programs already in place. The money is to cover operating expenses...specifically to ensure that personnel stays the same. If the levy is not passed, the School Board is prepared to make staffing cuts which will affect the quality of education our children receive. Our administration is trying to be fiscally responsible and are willing to answer any questions community members have about finances. The school belongs to the community and finances are a matter of public record.
I also think that we need to make sure that we have the "big picture" in mind and not just the immediate future. The uncertainty of our present economy does cause us to become concerned about the immediate future. However, if you are a property owner the "big picture" needs to be part of this thought process!
My husband has talked about wanting to move to the country, still within the district.(this is a dream. Whether or not it will happen is another story. But, we have been talking about whether it is the right choice for us at this time.) In talking about what we are looking for, another piece to the puzzle is the present house we do own. I found a website which showed how much my house is worth, complete with a chart that showed the value for the past year. That value has taken a nose-dive over the last several months! Now, I know that this is driven by economy, BUT if we continue in pursuing this dream of moving to the country, I have to be realistic. We would need to sell our house in town. Our ability to sell our house is directly affected by the outcome of the school levy. Parents are going to want the best education for their children. If the levy passes, that IS possible! However, I am afraid if the levy fails, parents will find other places to take their children. (I have also heard conversations from some who think that consolidation is the way to go. If that were to happen, I would have a tougher time trying to sell my house. Realistically children could be bussed to a town quite a distance away...even farther when you factor in the time spent picking up other children on a route!). Who would want to buy my house if there isn't anything here for their children? I am not special. This issue would affect ALL home owners!
So, as Election Day FAST approaches, please do what you can to get the big picture....re-read past blog entries. Ask questions! Don't think that it is someone else's problem. We are all in this together. Let's put past issues behind us and pledge to work together for a brighter future for our community. Help the administration continue to provide a positive education for our children. AND do your part! Please go to your assigned voting station and VOTE YES for the Stryker School Levy on November 8! Together we CAN make a difference!
No comments:
Post a Comment