Did your phone ring this morning? Mine range twice. "Stryker Schools will be on a two hour delay" was the first phone call. The second call came just a little bit ago: "Stryker Schools will be closed for the day." Looking out my window, I understand why. The thick fog puts the children of Stryker at great risk. My own children were driving last night and I heard words like "white knuckle driving" and trips taking much longer than usual. But I am grateful that they are safe!
So, as I am using this unexpected gift to be productive at home (dishwasher loaded and running, with lots of other things added to a "to do" list.....)I have been pondering the timing of the calls. AND THEN IT HIT ME!! In a cost saving measure, we have cut down on the number of bus routes. In order to pick up all of the children in the district who ride the school bus, the busses must leave earlier than they have in years before. The call to delay or close school must come earlier than previous years!
Think about it. How many times has school been delayed or closed and the fog lifts soon after? (Okay, snow delays and closings are probably a different story. However, if we close school during the fog "season" that affects the number of days "left" during the winter!) With less busses running, those calls need to be made earlier. Which means we (school administration makes those calls, however, "we" refers to District residents) have the potential to lose more days to inclement weather and make those days up at a later date than in previous years.
Now, I am by no means an expert in this area. Nor have I talked to anyone at the school about this. But it makes sense. The busses need to leave earlier than they ever have in order to get everyone picked up and arrive at school on time. And if the busses have to leave earlier, those decisions to delay or close must come earlier. A natural consequence to cuts being made to be fiscally responsible.
Please vote YES on November 8th. The students of Stryker Schools are depending on you for their education. We CAN make a difference!!! Vote YES!
No comments:
Post a Comment