Monday, October 3, 2011

Did you know?

I don't know about you, but this talk about "mils" and "millage" is hard for me to understand. I want to know the bottom line. It has occurred to me that others may be wondering the same thing! I present to you the following figures:
 
 Owner Occupied Residence
True Value $85,000.00
(Avg. for Stryker Com.)
Assessed Rate 35%
Assessed Value $29,750.00
5.8 Mills 0.0058
tax before credits $172.55
rollback(12.5%) 0.875
Net taxes levied $150.98



True Value$100,000.00
Assessed Rate 35%
Assessed Value $35,000.00
5.8 Mills 0.0058
tax before credits $203.00
rollback(12.5%) 0.875
Net taxes levied $177.63



True Value $50,000.00
Assessed Rate 35%
Assessed Value $17,500.00
5.8 Mills 0.0058
tax before credits $101.50
rollback(12.5%) 0.875
Net taxes levied $88.81



True Value $75,000.00
Assessed Rate 35%
Assessed Value $26,250.00
5.8 Mills 0.0058
tax before credits $152.25
rollback(12.5%) 0.875
Net taxes levied $133.22



NET TAXES LEVIED is the total amount it would cost for the year in "raised" taxes. Or let's think of this another way....

If the true value of your home is $85,000, you would pay $150.98 additional for the year. That is broken down to $12.58 per month. The cost of three value meals a month? Two 24 packs of Pepsi or Mountain Dew?

A home whose true value is placed at $100,000, your taxes would be an additional $177.63. Your per monthly cost equals $14.80 . That is the price of one dinner at AppleBee's (or less than the cost of 2 books of stamps).

If your home has a true value of $50,000 your taxes would total $88.81 which is just $7.41 (approximately) per month. That would be less than the cost of one book of stamps.

A home with a true value of $75,000 would pay an additional $133.22 for the year, which breaks down to $11.10 per month.

I have watched "pennies" and scrimped and struggled to make ends meet. I still don't have the savings account that is recommended (I can't remember when I made a deposit to my savings account!) and live "paycheck to paycheck". But, there is something about seeing the breakdown of a "per monthly" payment that makes additional taxes a little easier to manage. I know my first reaction to raised taxes is "how can I afford that???" in this economy, but when we realistically look at the facts and figures, I hope that your minds are eased a little and that we can all agree it is a "small price to pay" when it comes to the children of our community. Children who are our future and will someday be "running" our community. Don't WE deserve to make sure that they are prepared for their future responsibilities?

Vote YES on November 8. You will be glad you did!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment