I well remember when I had my children. Each precious bundle was handed to me and I saw the future in them. Specifically, what lessons did I need to teach them so that they would be ready to meet the future? And through the years, as time moved on and the world changed and was not always a safe place, I wondered what their future really did hold.
What I did know was that I wanted to leave a legacy for them. I wanted to instill a love for others. I wanted them to know the value of relationships and to value others. This world can be a hard place, but we make choices and our attitude has a lot to do with that. When you look for the blessings in each day, it makes having a positive attitude easier.
Leaving a legacy seems like an impossible task. How does one even attempt that undertaking? Part of it comes in the time we spend as a family. Our faith is also important for us in this process. But I realized that in shaping my children for their future, most of those opportunities and growth came during their school years. The friends they were spending time with, the homework assignments and projects that they had to complete and the experiences that they had participating in extra-curricular activities (sports, band, art contests, etc.). We provided the foundation, but their school experiences helped to shape who they are as young adults.
I started thinking about this because today was the ending to a weekend celebration of the town of Lockport. When Lockport was founded 175 years ago, families had dreams for their children. They wanted a brighter future. They wanted their town to thrive and they planned for the future. Part of their plan included a school. They knew that their children needed an education. I am sure that they did not foresee a future where they had to consolidate schools with the town of Stryker. I am also sure that they saw their town growing and thriving! Now all that is left are pictures, memorabilia and stories of the town of Lockport. To be sure, their stories have enriched our lives. We share their stories to pass on the history of Northwest Ohio. But in looking at their history, it struck me...the town of Lockport dwindled once they closed the school. It dwindled to where it doesn't exist except in telling the history of the area.
Now, I realize that times change and circumstances can be out of our control. But this weekend has been rolling around in my mind and it is becoming tangled with where we are now. I think that this "legacy" thing is working. I think that I have pretty good kids! (okay, yes I know that I am biased, however, I have the staff at Stryker Schools to thank for their part in helping make my children stronger academically and for helping me mold them into the people they are!). We have a good thing going at Stryker School. And that is in large part due to the support of parents and community members. Have we always agreed? No. But I know if we keep the lines of communication open, we CAN work together. And that common ground is that we all want to leave a strong legacy for our children and grandchildren and future generations in Stryker. Please vote YES on November 8 because it is the right thing to do for the children of Stryker. Even if you aren't sure it IS the right thing to do, ask questions and know that your children...present students and future students...deserve the legacy my children had. And we can provide that with your YES vote.
No comments:
Post a Comment